Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Animals!

I keep saying that I lucked out on my travel timing because of the weather. It seems like I've been able to avoid anything too rainy or too miserably hot this entire trip. I definitely had no idea that I would be here during "babies season."




Walking around Hanoi like they own the place
I found a cockroach!
Pigs, ducks, kids. Tough neighborhood.

Our guide in Sapa probably spent a good couple hours waiting for us while we took picture of baby animals. Same thing on Cat Ba Island. There are always baby chickens everywhere. My computer is filled with animal pictures. There are easily more pictures of fluffy things doing normal stuff than there are of me doing travel stuff.




I wonder if it's because I didn't grow up around farm animals, but I think they're freaking awesome. Water buffalo are so cool! They're so cute and calm. When you walk by them or catch their attention, they have this great way of looking at you where they put their head and horns back and their nose up. Then they look at you along their nose and it's hilarious.




It seems like there are chickens everywhere. Everyone has chickens. The school in Cambodia. The family in Hanoi. Our guide in Sapa couldn't have them because their dog would eat them. But you'd be walking along the sidewalk in a Vietnamese city, navigating all the cars, motos, bikes and people. And then you'd notice several chickens walking around like they owned the place. Unphased. Unknowing they're future dinners. Or you'd be at the bus stop and spend you're entire wait watching little baby chicks fight over a dead cockroach.



When I was staying in the village in Cambodia, one of the roosters that felt in necessary to crow at 430am would get halfway through his crow and sometimes choke and the crow would fizzle. For some reason that's hilarious to me.



Somehow I had no idea that pigs and chickens are omnivores. Or that it's really bad if a pig bites a human and realizes that a human is meat. Because then they do it again. But at the same time baby pigs are so tiny and cute. I have no problem saying that and also saying I like bacon. Sorry piggies, brunch is tasty.




Anyways, if you're traveling in January and February in SE Asai, keep your eyes out for all the little ones. Apparently they are all grown up by the time the hot season hits. 

Maybe I should have gotten a degree in something pertaining to animals. Whoops.

(Don't worry, I haven't really.)