Wednesday, March 18, 2015

All in my head? Most likely.

So far in my trip I have felt like I've had pretty decent luck with busses. Sure, I seem to regularly be seated next to some wall or vent that gives off far too much heat, but I've always arrived where I want to be with all my stuff in about the predicted amount of time. I haven't been sick on a bus or sat near any chickens. So that's a win in my book.


One sees odd things at the bus stations.

We were taking a two o'clock bus to Vang Vieng. Now a pickup at two o'clock can mean anything from getting picked up at one thirty to say three. But at two thirty our hotel informs us that the minivan company called and said they forgot to get us and left already. But not to worry! They would come get us at five! And we were on a minivan just a bit later than planned. I only wish we could have taken a bus in the daylight. From what could see as we lost the light from sunset, the rolling hills and karst cliffs looked gorgeous.
We arrived at the hostel many hours later than we had told them when we made the reservation. We arrived dusty, hot and tired. Really looking forward to sleeping. Apparently Pan, the owner of Pan's Place where we were staying, was not thrilled to have to stay up to greet us. When I told him my name, he shook his head and said something about not having a room because we were late and he gave it away. I could see my name written in his book with a room number. After explaining that the minibus had forgotten us, Pan proceeded with a lecture about giving away rooms when people don't show up til midnight and then handed us our keys.

By this time I was seriously grumpy at Pan. And he seemed seriously grumpy at me. But I took the key and went to bed. When I woke up in the morning I went to breakfast prepared to explain and apologize once again about the minivan situation. But the Pan I met at breakfast was an entirely different cheerful man. It seemed all was forgiven. Or had it really even been much of an issue? My preparedness to have an argument that Pan had clearly already forgotten about made me chuckle. I know that's not the first time I've had a situation unfold in my head that's more dramatic than the reality, and I know that definitely won't be the last.